Friday, March 12, 2010

Burning Questions [by warren =P]

Burning Questions
1) If oxide is O2, then why is it that we can’t write sulphur oxide when the chemical formula is SO2? And is sulphur dioxide instead? Why bother to write di in front of name since we already know oxide is O2?
2) What are all the gases that are diatomic? Other than from group 7.
3) What is the difference between iodine and iodide? Which should I use?
4) Why that Ammonia gas is NH3 while ammonium is NH4+? What is the difference and what should I use? Why do my notes say that ammonium ion is an exception during ionic bonding? What is so special about it?
5) Is differentiating ionic bonding between covalent bonding by seeing whether both ions are non-metal and non-metal OR metal and non- metal?
6) How am I supposed to deduce the chemical name (incl the transitions molecules) when they do not show the charge of transition molecules?
7) For the word formula, charge for the transition elements is written in Roman numerals, how about in chemical formula? Do we write in Roman numerals or just normally?
8) For the noble gases, how am I supposed to draw it? Do I need to bracket it up? for eg [ion]
9) When X has 4 valence electrons, do I say X4+ or X4- ? 4 in the middle… No ion? Why? Why? Why?
10) What is metallic bonding? Have I learnt it? Do I need to know?
11) Silver and Zinc are exceptions in transition elements? What charge for each? Forget already. Are there any more exceptions?
12) Oxide is an ion or element? Why?
13) Is acids part of covalent bonding? Are there any instances of ionic compounds dropping hydrogen and adding something else?
14) Other than H2O that we name it water, is there anything else that we call by its layman terms?
15) Do charges of the ions play a part in naming acids? If not, why is it that there are different numbers attached to Hydrogen?
16) Why is that some acids changes from –ite to –ous and some from -ate to –ic. Are there any general rule for changing the name (like for diatomic) or do I just remember?
17) Why is ammonium iodide NH4I instead of (NH4)2I?
18) IS ammonium sulphate (NH4)2SO4? How to do?
19) Why is aluminium carbonate Al2(Co3)? Why or Why not? Is aluminium a transition element or it is Al3+?
20) THANKS! :D